November 12, 2022
9:30 am - 12:00 pm
Linda Franklin, LCSW
Adoption Loss and Trauma
A Zoom presentation on
November 12, 2022
Last day for registration is 11/11/2022, at 12 Noon
After you register, a link will be sent to you by our Zoom host Dean Bender prior to the presentation.
Description of Presentation:
"Adoption Loss and Trauma" will cover both the diagnostic and clinical effects on first/birthmothers and on adoptees as well as the personal ramifications of the unnatural separation of mother and child inherent in the institution of adoption. Attendees will gain understanding and knowledge to address the treatment needs of clients with adoption-loss backgrounds, whether or not their presenting problems are directly related to adoption loss histories. Presenter will include sections of her own personal adoption-loss experience.
About the Presenter:
Linda Franklin is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker of almost forty years. She has practiced in multiple health and mental health settings before opening the first of two private psychotherapy practices thirty-three years ago and then employment as an outpatient psychiatric clinician for eleven years. Her clinical practice includes providing diagnosis, assessment, treatment planning and provision of treatment to a very wide range of individuals, couples, and groups suffering anxiety, depression, trauma, grief and loss, relationship, family, and many other presenting problems. Twenty-two years ago, she opened her own buried traumatic history of adoption loss of her first son. This led to her recognition of the deficits in her own understanding of the poorly recognized effects of adoption-loss in many of our clients. Linda is interested in helping her fellow clinicians recognize and competently respond to adoption-loss issues in their own clientele.
- Develop enhanced understanding of the trauma and lifelong experience inherent in adoption loss for both relinquishing mother and relinquished adoptees.
- Learn about the underlying psychological goals of reunion and gain knowledge to effectively respond the treatment needs of persons in reunion.
Measurable Learning Objectives:
- Participants will be able to list five psychological effects of adoption loss on
- Participants will be able to define disenfranchised grief as it applies to first/birthmothers and
to relinquished adoptees.
- Participants will be able to list five psychological effects of adoption loss on relinquished
- Participants will be able to list five increased risks experienced by adoptees.
- Franklin, Linda. I’ll Always Carry You: A Mother’s Story of Adoption Loss, Grief, and Healing, Authority Publishing, Gold River, CA., 2019
- Newton-Verrier, Nancy. The Primal Wound: Understanding the Adopted Child, Baltimore, MD, Gateway Press, Inc., 1993
- Burns Robinson, Evelyn, Adoption and Loss: The Hidden Grief, Christies Beach, So Australia, Clova Publications, 2000
- Solinger, Rickie, Wake Up Little Susie: Single Pregnancy and Race before Roe v. Wade, Routledge, 1992
- Dusky, Lorraine, hole in my heart: memoir and report from the fault lines of adoption, Sag Harbor, NY, Leto Media, 2015.
Course Training Level:
This is appropriate for all levels.
Award of Course Completion Certificates:
Upon completion of course, attendees will receive a Certificate for 2 CEUs or a Certificate for 2 Attendance Hours after completing a course evaluation.
Member of any CAMFT Chapter
Not a member of any CAMFT Chapter
Registration closes on Friday November 11, 2022 at 12:00 Noon. Refunds may be provided prior to the close of registration, minus a $5 registration refund fee. No refunds are available after the close of registration. No partial credit is given for arriving late or leaving early.
Accommodation for disability and for addressing grievances:
Contact Cicily Baird (916) 546-8036 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sierra Foothills CAMFT is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFT, LCSW, LPCC, and LEP as well as non-licensed AMFT, ASW, APCC, graduate students and trainees. Provider number is 97723. This course meets the qualifications for 2 hours of continuing education credit for LMFT, LCSW, LPCC, and LEP as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
All Sierra Foothills Chapter members are welcome to join the Board of Directors meeting. The next meeting is on 11/12/2022 on ZOOM at 8:30 a.m. Please let us know if you plan to attend by emailing Cicily Baird at email@example.com so a link can be sent to you.
Please note the next Sierra Foothills Zoom workshop is on: TBA